Yet another update

It appears I'm slowly emerging from the crazy six months with way too much on my plate. I just hope I'm not going to let myself fall into another rabbit hole...

The first change was with one study module's finishing in May. I'm doing another one through the summer, but this one is very manageable on its own. I'm actually enjoying it, too, and much more than I expected. It's math -- not super high level but a bit higher than I've ever done. I've always been okay with math -- passing well enough but not going beyond what was required. So far I'm doing really well, to the point of considering doing more math modules, which is frankly surprising. Don't need to decide for another month or so, though.

I have also finished the novel edit for the new agent. There are still discussions to be had, but fingers crossed she will like the changes I made. It seems I've been working on this one forever--I think the first draft was done in August. I'm crossing my fingers it will go on sub soon...

I May I went to visit my parents. They are getting older, and I'm increasingly worried how we're going to manage it when they get too old and frail to manage on their own. I'm the only child and 2.5-hour flight away, so not exactly on call for when they need help... I honestly have no idea what I'll do then. For now, they're managing, and their garden looks way better than mine. They are both keen gardeners, and it shows. There's always something in bloom, but May is probably the best, with all the rhododendrons and azaleas covered in flowers
It reminded me once again how soothing trees are... I could just sit there and listen to the rustle of leaves and feel the time stand still.





I was back in time to prepare for husband's big birthday, which had several of his relatives visiting, some of whom spoke very little English. I was glad to see I could still follow virtually all the conversation; alas, my own performance has left me frustrated. I mean, I can't really be upset after barely speaking the language in almost a decade, but still. Language is such a fickle thing. Without practice, it dies swiftly and quietly. I still remember being almost fluent in Russian and now it's all gone...

Another thing I need to get back to practicing is my fencing. I haven't gone to a single session since March... Honestly, I've hardly moved at all in the last six months. Working from home means that even casual movement is down to almost zero, unless I take the effort to actually do it. Which I haven't. So not only I'm totally out of shape, I've put on over 5 kg (10 pounds). I'm not even sure my fencing breeches still fit... They were tight last time I had them on...

I really can't let myself get so crazy busy again, especially as this was mostly my own fault. I need to start moving again, and enjoying the sports I like. Fingers crossed I get back in the routine soon.

Unless of course the agent requests more changes -- and I feel like I have to do them by next week...

And then I sign up for another course...

And take on more beta reading...

:X

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dublin WorldCon Report

My WorldCon Schedule

Writing Retreat